FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

WugNet vs WiND

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Wug Management
Yeah lets go WiND
30%
 30%  [ 7 ]
Nah lets keep WugNet
56%
 56%  [ 13 ]
I dont mind, makes no difference to me
13%
 13%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 23

xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:30 pm    Post subject: WugNet vs WiND Reply with quote

Lo peeps

Many guys have suggested that WiND ( http://freshmeat.net/projects/wind/ ) offers good features for Wifi networks such as ours. I would like your feedback whether we should integrate into WiND or carry on dev'ing our own version as has been for the past 2/3 years?

Xarion

Last edited by xarion on Sun Mar 08, 2009 8:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Cyclone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wind is a bit more more dificult to operate at first. But once you know your way around it is exactly just like wugnet. For new users I think wugnet will be easier to understand.
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The other option would be to setup a wug-wide dev team to help develop a new 'WugNet' and give WiND some competition, at the moment WiND is going to confuse the hell out of newbies i think
Atti2de

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, i think the current wug plotter is better.

We have a great thing here. Maybe it need a facelift, but hey, its easier than WIND!

I support staying with the current wugnet and improving it. I will dedicate some of my own time as well.

Very Happy

Wugnet FTW!
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the main consideration for me is the KMLs

wugnet's KML's are much better than WIND's. With wugnet people can see where antennas are pointing and what freq it is, with wind you only see nodes and links - kak.

the google earth app is much better for viewing than the google earth API in the browser. with the normal GE you can turn the view and tilt and get a bigger better picture of whats going on.

2 things we need to address on wugnet:
1. make backbone links display bolder on the KML
2. streamline the process of plotting a bit
buffalobill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm in no position to evaluate the technical merits of either. Which one has the more support/developers and which has the greater long-term potential?
fragtion

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WugNet really needs refinement. The biggest problem in my eyes is old nodes. What I think needs to happen is that over and above 'Planning' and 'Operational' nodes, we have another option called 'New user test' or something, which is a temporary node that expires after a few weeks. Why I say this is because the WugNet database is filled with old, inactive, or 'test' nodes that don't exist, never did exist, or never will exist.
Perhaps we could come up with a system that mails users once every 6 months asking them to click a link if they still use their account. If they dont verify their account, it sends out another one in a week's time, and then if it still isn't verified a week after that, it deletes the account. I can't think of anything else offhand.
Both of my friends, Toxin and Radionuclide, aren't on the wug at the moment anymore and don't plan coming back (Toxin is emigrating). What's going to happen to their accounts and nodes?

Other than that, WugNet is fine. Why not try implement both, for the sake of it? Then we can see which one ultimately gains more popularity. Not out of competition, obviously, but for whatever's better for the wug...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: