FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Name servers
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xarion wrote:
ISP stands for Internet Service Provider we do not provide internet on the wug, its a private LAN without wires basically for use for gaming, research and development, information sharing, chat etc

And LAN stands for Local Area Network. So what? It's all just computers connected together. I still don't see why there has to be such a distinction. Are you guys proud of your exclusivity? Is it a sort of nerds only club? If so, I might be able to join, but the cafe owner down the road certainly won't, and I don't think that's fair.
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you've missed the boat completely all i am saying is that there are no commercial services available on the wug and that means internet finished and klaar. it is not an exclusive network, but you do have to have some brainmatter, dont expect to just plug and play. besides why would a cafe owner want to join? lol
Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xarion wrote:
as soon as you provide internet people will expect it to always work, and members or highsite managers would be held responsible if it doesnt work. its something we have never and will never get involved with

Who cares what they expect? If they're not paying for it, they don't have a leg to stand on. Telkom customers EXPECT all sorts of things - never phased them before, and we are paying clients!
Grant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

xarion wrote:
you've missed the boat completely all i am saying is that there are no commercial services available on the wug and that means internet finished and klaar. it is not an exclusive network, but you do have to have some brainmatter, dont expect to just plug and play. besides why would a cafe owner want to join? lol

Please check out my post here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?t=163844

This is where I was referred from, if I'm barking up the wrong tree then please let me know.
daffy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how it works...
There is no internet on the Wug, end of story.

If that takes away the attraction of the network, well then don't join.

If, after that, the network still seems interesting, and you want to get involved, then get some equipment and connect.

We're not exclusive, we're not elitist. We just obey the rules that are laid out.
If we break the rules, we lose the whole thing.
Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair enough, I blame big brother for your lack of a logical argument Smile
daffy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is perfect logic in my argument. And loads of experience behind my argument too.

We CANNOT provide internet access over the WUG. Those are the rules set out in the LAW.

For a long time, Jawug ran in a little bit of a legal grey-area. But with the new License structure and regulations, we've been quite nicely told that we're fine. AS LONG AS WE DON'T PROVIDE INTERNET ACCESS.

Its not negotiable. End of story.
Atti2de

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: Name servers Reply with quote

Grant wrote:
Does WUG have name servers, or is everyone on static IPs?

I'm missing something here - NOT related. We do however have static IP's allocated per user which can be distributed, if the users chooses to, via DHCP.

DNS is a different issue. Yes - we do use 'friendly' names.

Don't understand your post -

Quote:
Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but is it really that difficult for one to run a network cable to one's nearest neighbour? He, in turn could connect to his nearest neighbour and they to theirs. If nearly everyone in the country connects this way - hey presto, free local internet.

NOT Internet ^ - maybe a local network or even a WAN.

Please explain what you are getting at. As far as I can see, you just wanna connect and let WUG users see your websites?

Anyway - i'm outta here
Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Name servers Reply with quote

Atti2de wrote:
Grant wrote:
Does WUG have name servers, or is everyone on static IPs?

I'm missing something here - NOT related. We do however have static IP's allocated per user which can be distributed, if the users chooses to, via DHCP.

Not strictly speaking no, but without a DNS server how would one find a dynamic IP? I assumed that if you didn't have them you would be running on static IPs. Of course, it is possible to have both so it isn't strictly one OR the other no.

Atti2de wrote:

DNS is a different issue. Yes - we do use 'friendly' names.

Don't understand your post -

Quote:
Perhaps I am oversimplifying, but is it really that difficult for one to run a network cable to one's nearest neighbour? He, in turn could connect to his nearest neighbour and they to theirs. If nearly everyone in the country connects this way - hey presto, free local internet.

NOT Internet ^ - maybe a local network or even a WAN.

Please explain what you are getting at. As far as I can see, you just wanna connect and let WUG users see your websites?

Anyway - i'm outta here

Well, it seems to me that if all of of the web hosts in SA were connected to WUG then we would essentially have free local internet. Web hosts and ISPs could also cut costs by routing some of the the data they transfer between each other through WUG instead of expensive internet connections.
Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daffy wrote:
There is perfect logic in my argument. And loads of experience behind my argument too.

We CANNOT provide internet access over the WUG. Those are the rules set out in the LAW.

For a long time, Jawug ran in a little bit of a legal grey-area. But with the new License structure and regulations, we've been quite nicely told that we're fine. AS LONG AS WE DON'T PROVIDE INTERNET ACCESS.

Its not negotiable. End of story.

Just because something is the LAW doesn't necessarily make it logical Wink
mossie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is the stupidest idee I have ever seen I will not let a bunch of isp's host their stuff on Jawug as then it defeats the purpose of the network.

they can build their own network or Pay telkom to use theirs....

mossie
Atti2de

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant,

Quote:
Not strictly speaking no, but without a DNS server how would one find a dynamic IP? I assumed that if you didn't have them you would be running on static IPs. Of course, it is possible to have both so it isn't strictly one OR the other no.

You missed my point completely.

Quote:
Well, it seems to me that if all of of the web hosts in SA were connected to WUG then we would essentially have free local internet. Web hosts and ISPs could also cut costs by routing some of the the data they transfer between each other through WUG instead of expensive internet connections.

NOT AN OPTION!
NO!
NEE!

If you are going to connect to the WUG and route your commercial stuff via the WUG, you will be asked to leave.

Quote:
Just because something is the LAW doesn't necessarily make it logical

Take the blue pill.

One thing you must try and get into your head is that the WUG is a community based network and is therefore an open/ free network.

NO commercial services are available on the WUG! No routing for no one!

That would classify the WUG as a provider and we would hence need a license.
Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atti2de wrote:

One thing you must try and get into your head is that the WUG is a community based network and is therefore an open/ free network.

Free in the monetary sense only, it seems.
Atti2de

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grant,

Join us on irc.wug.za.net.

Use the irc applet on www.wug.za.net if you don't have an irc client.
Come chat to us.
Grant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe tonight when I get home, stuck behind a firewall here at work. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: