FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Ip address assignment?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AcidRain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 12:32 am    Post subject: Ip address assignment? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

There is a smaller wug operating in the cape town area. At the moment it's running on bridge, which isn't good i know but i aint the admin.. just the planner. Now we have connected to ctwug but they have just given us the range 172.18.200.x - 172.18.203.x which is working but what im planning won't work with it and this is why.

The network wants to get off bridge mode and for that routing needs to be done. Now the head admin isn't too fond of OSPF so it's all going to be static routing. Problme with the current IP assignment is there isn't a specific range for a specific site so that range can't be routed but each individuals IP will be needed to which will just be complete chaos.

SO what im thinking is jumping onto our own 172.x.x.x range. Now assuming, in the future sometime, the networks will all link nationally so IP conflicts are best avoided from the start so my question is, what is an openly available range to use. The only ones i know are as follows:

1. 172.16.x.x - Jawug
2. 172.17.x.x - PTAwug
3. 172.18.x.x - CTwug
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AcidRain, just how many ip addresses do you need?

If you need more, rather use a /20 or /19 on the Cape Town range, rather than grabbing another 172.x

I doubt that Loem and CTWUG together can use up an entire /16 never mind each alone.
AcidRain

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pilgrim wrote:
Hi AcidRain, just how many ip addresses do you need?

If you need more, rather use a /20 or /19 on the Cape Town range, rather than grabbing another 172.x

I doubt that Loem and CTWUG together can use up an entire /16 never mind each alone.

I guess, would be so much easier to work with smaller numbers. Also the problem is what about expansion... ctwug might not be able to use the whole /16 range now, but what about the future. Last thing we want is having to pack up because the ip's are needed

Last edited by AcidRain on Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Pilgrim

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when CTWUG reaches the point where 65 thousand ips are not enough I will jump with joy Very Happy

I am just worried about running out of /16 ranges, there are a lot of towns in South Africa Smile

I suppose we can use 10.x.x.x as well one day though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: