FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

DIY antennas

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wugger

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: DIY antennas Reply with quote

http://www.usbwifi.orconhosting.net.nz/

http://freeantennas.com/

Has anyone tried putting things like this to use on the wug? You can find way more designs if you google btw.

I mean look at this,

"...This particular AP has been tested to 2.2 miles..." (that's almost 4Km)

connecting to this,

http://freeantennas.com/projects/outdoor_ap/index.html

And it's a D-Link AP in a pie pan inside of a disposable plastic container.

If you had a spare AP lying around you could connect to the wug for next to nothing, provided you're not too far away or have bad LOS I guess.

So will someone please try it Question, I don't see why it shouldn't work just would be cool to see someone get it done. I don't think I have LOS unfortuneately or I would.
darkfire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 11, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Grey area Reply with quote

Hi Wugger

My personal and, I must emphasize it's my PERSONAL view only (Iím not trying to spark a war here, and I apologize if I offend anyone), is that the DIY antenna in the WUG community is a grey area. Even the mention of attempting something like it is met the same old answer "You'll end up buying the WUG kit" or "you will end up spending the same amount of money, might as well buy the kit".

The point is (being a DIY man myself) that building something yourself and taking two steps back looking at your creation is more stratifying to me than going out to a shop and buying the item over the counter, even if it did cost me the same amount of money at the end of the day.

I'd love to see more people coming up with innovative ways of connecting to a network such as the WUG.

I've tried a couple of DIY antennas myself with very little success, but I blame that on my limited knowledge of how antennas work, as well as radio waves.

In my view I see no reason why a satellite dish hooked up to a wireless USB adapter should not be able to connect to the WUG, but the technology used on the WUG is kept in the dark for some reason.

The other problem I have is that the information regarding these wifi antennas are not clearly documented, a couple of guys on a YouTube video showing how to hookup a Chinese wok to a USB stick is not ideal, unfortunately this makes getting one to work very frustrating, and even if you find a well documented site, most of part they used are obtained from overseas locations, or you canít find an equivalent in South Africa. I often wonder how many of those proposed antennas are not really hoaxes.

I'd love to team up with someone and get a DIY antenna working that will connect to a WUG high site at 5KM away. Once done I'd properly document the steps, schematics, tools ect.. (a SA version if you will) needed for everyone to get enthusiastic and start experimenting with their own antennas.

Anyone who is up for this challenge can contact me at supportATquickspaceDOTcoDOTza, or PM me.

PS. I know there are some users that have gone down this path, not sure how successful they were. Loved to here from those users and get some extra input.
Roan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

darkfire is not intirely correct.. It is very simple to connect with DIY gear. I connect with a antenna made out of a broken fan's cover! Connecting with a usb wifi dongle is not prefered however as it has limited routing functions and needs a f*cklong usb extension. Just tell me how to upload pictures and i'll show my setup gladly
darkfire

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Roan.

I'm very interested in your DIY project. Please understand that I'm supporting these kind of projects. No mention in my post that it cannot be done, just questions.

We need more people like yourself to tell us the do's and doníts when attempting a DIY antenna.

As for uploading pics, can't upload them directly to the server but you can provided a link to them if you upload it to another website. I'm more than willing to give you some FTP details to one of my servers so we can see what you have done. (PM me or send me a mail supportATquickspaceDOTcoDOTza)

I have confirmed with the WUG Administrators that a DIY antenna can indeed work (should have posted that earlier) even with a dish and a USB WiFi adapter. You are correct though that itís not the best way, my next attempt is a WRT54G, Iíve got 3 of them just need the correct N-Type connectors.

Very Exciting. Please come back to us.
Roan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will upload them right here like Wugger did his photos, just need to know how?
darkfire

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roan

In order to add pictures to your post you need to upload them to another website. If you right click on Wuggerís photos and select properties you would see that the location of the photo actually sits on another website (http://www.freeantennas.com/). Once you have uploaded the photos to your website you use the Img button when posting a reply and paste the link to the photo between the img tags. [ img ]http://www.yourwebsitename.co.za/photos/photo1.jpg[ / img ]

Hope that makes it more clear. As per before if you donít have access to another website to upload your photos I can provide you with access details.

Let me know. Looking forward to your reply
[/img]
Roan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes access details will be nice thanks
darkfire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Roan

Just to confirm did you get the PM I sent you with the FTP access details.

Let me know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: