FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Sircastle
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Atti2de

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gents,

Currently SirCastle is down - I will get to the highsite asap and give you some feedback.

It is 5.8GHz Catscratch, but I will be turning sircastle4 to slightly overlap sircastle3 due to the high demand of clients.
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Catscratch Reply with quote

Catscratch, Using the LOS Calculator on the www.wug.za.net I can see that you have "line of sight" to Sircastle.

You need to now do a test to see if you will get signal. I suggest that you talk to the okes on IRC to see if a test can be done.

You do not have "line of Sight" to myself (Toby)

Cheers
Atti2de

PostPosted: Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SirCastle is back online gents.

Catscratch,

See if one of your friends can assist with a scan from your side.
joevanheerden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: SirCastle Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm a new user, and can't seem to get a stable connection. I'm connecting to WestPoint at the moment.

My question:

Is there more than one SirCastle highsite, e.g SirCastle1, SirCastle2? I've got a 2.4Ghz antenna, and I'm thinking that maybe I'll get a better connection by connecting to SC, but I can't pick it up by scanning with my router. Does it only run 5Ghz?
Toby

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sircastle runs 5.8ghz ONLY

What Equipment have you got

I also made the same mistake, bought 2.4 Grid and then upgraded to 5.8Ghz
joevanheerden

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby wrote:

What Equipment have you got

I also made the same mistake, bought 2.4 Grid and then upgraded to 5.8Ghz

I've got a 2.4GHZ antenna, and I'm connecting to WP with a relatively clear LOS, 5 km, but I think I would get a better connection to SP, which is 4km away. Is the SC highsite 5.8Ghz?
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Which is the less loaded HighSite Reply with quote

I would also consider which is the lesser loaded (busy) highsite. If you do a good check, I have a gut feeling that you will find that WP is loaded less that SC.

Remember, the WP Highsite is connected via Backbones to SC and NC (NorthCliff), so there would be no redundancy advantage in connecting to SC.

If I was in your situation, I would connect to both using an RB433 and two grids, adding to the redudndancy of the wug in the area. i.e. If the SC to WP backhaul goes down, you effectively become the backhaul, and increase the stability of the WUG.
joevanheerden

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RB433 router board, and I'm thinking of getting a 5Ghz grid. So I could use both and set up a redundancy. The only reason I want to connect to SC instead of WP is that I think I would get a better connection to SC. My connection to WP is very unstable.
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: 2.4 Unstable Reply with quote

I hear you. Also remeber that the 2.4 sprectum is utilised far more than the 5.8 Spectrum, which may explain the unstability.

I would go ahead and connect to Sircastle first as it is closer, and from the WP end, you should be connecting on a Sector that is not that busy.

Remember that SC3 is quite populated with connections already, but it points from SC over towards Honeydew. you would obviously connect to the sector with the best signal.

Also remember, that Sircastle is 5.8 ONLY. There is NO 2.5
joevanheerden

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 6:30 am    Post subject: Re: 2.4 Unstable Reply with quote

Toby wrote:
I hear you. Also remeber that the 2.4 sprectum is utilised far more than the 5.8 Spectrum, which may explain the unstability.

I would go ahead and connect to Sircastle first as it is closer, and from the WP end, you should be connecting on a Sector that is not that busy.

Remember that SC3 is quite populated with connections already, but it points from SC over towards Honeydew. you would obviously connect to the sector with the best signal.

Also remember, that Sircastle is 5.8 ONLY. There is NO 2.5

Yep, I know. I've asked HappyChap for a scanner so I can see first if I would be able to connect to SC. If it is possible I'll definitely upgrade my kit to 5.8Ghz.

Thanks Toby!
vangend

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toby wrote:

I lost my connection to SC a few months ago, now I now why. Never had time to troubleshoot till now, good thing I came reading here first. Is WP also only on 5.8 ghz ?
Toby

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wug.za.net/wiki/index.php/WP
Says still 2.4.

However, I would try and Identify the "Responsible Person" who is the co-ordinator of the site and would be the best person to comment on IF and WHEN WP will go 5.8.

See Info for SC Which has "Responsible Person" detailed in link below
http://www.wug.za.net/wiki/index.php/SC
bkasselman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:41 am    Post subject: Noordheuwel, Rangeview, Roodekrans, Wilro Park Reply with quote

Everyone in the Noordheuwel, Rangeview, Roodekrans, Wilro Park, area please check the following post,

http://www.wug.za.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1465
bkasselman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: (RK) Roodekrans Reply with quote

Here is the proposed footprint on the (RK) Roodekrans site...
this is not set in stone, but will give you an idea of what the first phase coverage will be...

http://www.wug.za.net/pics/los/398_Roodekrans%20%20Proposed%20Footprint%20-%20Stage%201.JPG
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Jawug All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: