FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Help needed with network setup

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AManAPlan

PostPosted: Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:03 am    Post subject: Help needed with network setup Reply with quote

Hi,

i need some technical advise. Lets start with my setup:

3 x pc all connected to a router (Belkin router) via cable, router also have wireless ability but it is not used - I dont like wireless Smile .

1x iburst destop modem.
1x wug connection.

Currently all pc's can connect to the internet via the router and iburst.

My question: can I plug the wug into the router and have wug access for all the pc's while still have access to the internet via iburst? if so how?

so mainly I would want all the pc's to be able to access the WUG without losing the ability to connect to the internet via iburst.
DukeSan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AManAPlan, Maybe one of the more senior WUG members has a better solution, but I have your same config myself.
Orignally, I let the ADSL assign the IP addresses (in range 192.168.x.x) and used a startup group item (WUGROUTE.BAT) file with a command:
route ADD 172.16.0.0 MASK 255.240.0.0 192.168.1.252 METRIC 10
Obviously, I assigned 192.168.1.252 as the IP addr of the LAN (Ether) interface on the Mikrotik radio. With this config, I was able to download and share using StrongDC.
(Note: you could also implement this route command with the Persistent flag route -p ADD 172.16.0.0 MASK 255.240.0.0 192.168.1.252 METRIC 10 )
Recently, I switched my internal IP range 172.16.x.x (Number range assigned by senior WUG member), so could have 2 PC's connected to same CSS game server, without CSS server kicking one of the players (with complaint about Ghost IP).
Latest version of StrongDC has nice option to let it decide how best to config sharing connection, so no hassles assigning "Incoming Connex Settings" port forwarding, etc
AManAPlan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Duke,

thanx for the reply.

I added both the 172 and 192 IP ranges to my network card. Was able to link all the pc's and to access the internet but could not test the WUG as the highsite is down.

Will test your method if all else fails.

Do you know anything bout ICS (internet connection sharing) on win 7?

Just cant seem to get it working Confused iBurst doesn't allow multiple connections and my current configuration only allows 1 pc at time to be connected.
riaan.strydom

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there

Just one thing to remember with ICS. It acts as a DHCP Server, so the interface you are sharing, will assign IP's automatically to the other PC's connecting to the network. (The shared interface will be the only one with a static IP by default) I had the same issue, I disabled the DHCP function on my router, and allowed ICS to assign all the IP's. It did so, and tada, it was working.

Hope it helps. Cheers!
F4ckn

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:55 pm    Post subject: Route Reply with quote

Hey AManAPlan,
I would say rather leave your belkin in as your router, then from there you have 2 options:

1) Setup a static route in your belkin to route traffic to the wug via your kit.

2) Setup your kit on the same IP range as your current network, IE if your network uses 192.168.0.1-192.168.0.10 and your gateway is 192.168.0.254
Setup your Wug kit to use the IP 192.168.0.253 and plug it into one of the LAN ports on your router. From there you add a static route on each PC, with:
route -p ADD 172.16.0.0 MASK 255.240.0.0 192.168.0.253

The first option is better because all the settings are done on the networking equipment and when you plug stuff into your network you dont have to configure anything... But its not so simple to explain now Smile

Good Luck

F4
DukeSan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi AManAPlan, I would agree with F4ckn's solution. His option 2 is the easiest to setup, much like my original config. But his option 1 is more industrial strength, and the option likely to be recommended by a network engineer. But it does require some Belkin router command line expertise...

If you want to go option 1, you would need to telnet to the Belkin, issue a command like:
ip ifconfig enif0:0 ... (not sure of the actual syntax)
You'd need to Google.
Then the command would have to edited into your router's autoexec.net, to ensure it is present after reboot, with a command like:
sys edit autoexec.net

If I was you, I might be tempted to go with option 2, which is easier to undo, if things go wrong.... he he
AManAPlan

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmmm... i'm not so good with the network thing Shocked but I'll give it a hoot.

Will try over the weekend and let you know what happened. thanx for all the advise.
F4ckn

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Smile
Toby

PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 5:52 pm    Post subject: My configuration type as a Consideration Reply with quote

As a statement at the moment i am down due to lightning strike, which has damaged equipment, but anyway.

I use a RB750 as a Router/Firewall with 5 separate networks defined. The RB750 can effectively have 5 physical network segments.

Network 1. The network to ADSL - A Crossover ethernet cable between ADSL Router and RB750.
Network 2. The WUG network.
Network 3. Internal User Network that routes to Internet. i.e PC's on this network access the Internet. Also have a Wireless AP on this Segment for Laptops

Network 4. Spare Network Segment - Configured as a maintenace segment with no Firewall rules applied. No DHCP on this segment
Network 5. Configured as a DMZ to host a web/ftp server visible to the Internet and WUG in the future.

I have the RB750 do the PPPOE dialing to the Internet, with the ADSL modem in bridge mode.

With this you can slice and dice exactly how you want your traffic to flow, with appropriate security, without worrying about any specific route setup on PC's.

Example, I run a Ubuntu/Bind9 DNS Server that resolves the Internet and the WUG. This Server (a Virtual) is setup on the RB750 to only allow DNS Port 53 to Internet /WUG, but open to Ubuntu Updates Sites through firewall rules.

There are some advantages with this.
Price. The RB750 100M version is R295.00 see http://www.scoopdistribution.co.za/product_info.php?cPath=100_34&products_id=863

Same OS as the RB433 and RB411 used on the WUG - One OS to Learn

A Great Firewall with all the OS bells and Whistles - DHCP, DNS, QOS, BGP, Natting, Port Forwarding etc etc etc.
AManAPlan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 am    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

I got everything to work and this is how I ended up doing it:

Downloaded and installed ProxyPlus.
Changed the routers IP address to be my WUG IP range.
Added the IP ranges as clients to Proxyplus via the Proxyplus software. Changed the other ps's Internet connection settings to use a proxy and used one of my machines IP as the proxy IP.
Used the Proxyplus option to run the Proxyplus sofware as a service.

Now all pc's can connect to the internet and the WUG is up and running.

thanx to all for responding with advice.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> HowTo's All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: