FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Internet Sharing
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anthran

PostPosted: Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:16 pm    Post subject: Sharing internet Reply with quote

Basically same question as hazard901
If I have 2 properties can I share my one Internet connection between the 2 houses using a wireless connection?
SupaMonkey

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2011 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any update on this?

1) Can I still not use PTAWUG (or any other wug) to share an internet connection with a friend?
or -alternatively-
2) If I dont use a WUG but setup a wireless network between me and my friend using WUG like equipment - will it still be illegal? Would I require any licenses or anything of the sort?

Area has been plagued with cable theft and Telkom isnt replacing the cable anymore so no telephone lines, no ADSL and no 3G / iBurst / WiMAX coverage in the area :S
BarendB

PostPosted: Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SupaMonkey wrote:
Any update on this?

1) Can I still not use PTAWUG (or any other wug) to share an internet connection with a friend?
or -alternatively-
2) If I dont use a WUG but setup a wireless network between me and my friend using WUG like equipment - will it still be illegal? Would I require any licenses or anything of the sort?

Area has been plagued with cable theft and Telkom isnt replacing the cable anymore so no telephone lines, no ADSL and no 3G / iBurst / WiMAX coverage in the area :S

Any form of sharing internet over wireless networks require a license. If the wireless networks falls within the boundaries of your property it is seen as your private network. So yes you can do this on a farm between houses. In towns or anyplace else going over differant properties it is illegal. You can be arrested and prosecuted.
Again the WUG's are not interrested in getting a ISP license.
You do however get ISP's in alot of areas providing internet over WUG like equipment. They are called WISPS. They use it alot in small town and farm communities.
Faultyboy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely supplying internet to someone over the WUG is a private agreement between the two parties? does it not only become commercial if you charge the other person a fee? Also surely if the WUG registered as a non profit organization which just accepts donations from users, then it should be exempt from taxes and licensing laws? Because it falls under the public spectrum, they should have absolutely nothing to do with the data that is being transmitted?

Just another control mechanism enforced by the people in power.. F**K them Ill send what I want over my wireless.
Vampyre

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 11:06 am    Post subject: Read the T's & C's Reply with quote

Quote:
"Unless you are subscribed to a business package, you may not use any services for anything other than your own personal use.

Unless you subscribe to a business packages and you are permitted in terms of such business package, you may not resell any services, receive any charge or benefit for the use of any services or provide Internet access or any other feature of the services to any third party or in any other way exploit the service for any commercial purposes. For example, you cannot provide Internet access to others through a dial up, ADSL or other connection, host shell accounts over the Internet, provide e-mail or news services, or send a news feed. You may not run a server (including game servers) in connection with the services. You may not provide network services to others via the services. In addition, you are prohibited from running servers for mail, http, ftp, irc and multi-user interactive forums. You may not share your services. "

Quote from :
http://www.mweb.co.za/legalpolicies/GeneralPage/AcceptableUsePolicy.aspx
used as example ....

Please read the terms and conditions of your internet contract, sharing such will lead to a violation and breech in the contract.

Being NPO/PBO wugs still need to adhere to a code of conduct and operate within the law, we remind our members to not transfer or conduct anything deemed as illegal and unlawful by either wug/ISP/ or any other regulatory body always read the AUP when in doubt Smile

Happy Wugging !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: