FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Wind Tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
uberflyx

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Wind Tool Reply with quote

Hi all,

I'm a member of JAWUG, but I was just checking out the CTWUG web site, and they seem pretty jacked up! Their wind tool they use for LOS, etc, looks like a win... Has anyone ever considered using wind instead of the current toolset for other wug sites / wug.za.net?

I would be willing to help out - but I'm pretty sure the admins already know whats going on and have things under control!

Cheers
Faultyboy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive started designing something similar that runs off our websites db instead of being a separate login and looking very detached from the site. I'm playing around with the GMaps APIv3 which is very flexible and can be highly customized, when its finished a user will upload a kml file when they signup which will get processed and will display automatically on the map. I also want to look at using the map to display the status of the network/backbones, maybe lines between points that change color depending on the traffic flow, green=light red=heavy black=no connection. you would just need a gateway node on the network that gathers the stats streams them to the website. IP allocation system with a intrusion/new node alert buy checking if any IP's/MAC's are on the network that are not in the database. Ive got so many ideas.. Time to get to work.. Smile

If the wIND portal doesn't come out with an update before the v2 API it uses stops working next year, Ill release my version for anyone that want's to use it..
uberflyx

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds pretty legit! Once you are done, if you released it I'm sure some people will be more than happy to share their internet connection or something to stream stats to the web server!

Perhaps, you could make it slightly 'gangsta' and use HTTP GET's to send data to the wug web site using PHP query strings or something, that way the gateway server doesn't need to be any more open to the world than usual since it pushes data rather than waiting for pulls. It also makes making the web site simpler since you don't need to try pull stuff from some other server that might not be functional if something goes south.

Perhaps a wug sponsored 3G / iburst connection at one of the highsites to make it a nice solid dedicated system - but using someones uncapped ADSL would be a win.
Faultyboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion.. I will have to do a bit more research on how I am going get the stats up without having to continually poll from either end which will be a bit heavy on which ever end is doing the polling.. AJAX long polling might be a portion of the answer.. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comet_%28programming%29
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: