FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BOB D@ BU1LD3R

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 10:18 pm    Post subject: Location Reply with quote

Hi Protzkrog!

Hi I live in Eldoraigne! Across daimlercrysler on wierda road! I bought all the equiptment today for the wifi it cost me R2200 so please help!

Ps I dont know how to plot my location!

But here is my location

lat=-25.838305

lon=28.128127

Foxconn 8800gtx 768MB Oc Version
Nvidia vForce 680i Sli
E8400 @ 3ghz
Kingmax 4Gb DDR2 800mhz cl 5
22" Benq LCD
Sagitta Gaming Case
Zalman 750W PSU
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

read the Getting Started section, all is explained there : http://www.ptawug.co.za/index/page/content/act/list/id/11

buying kit before checking line of sight is not very clever at all
BOB D@ BU1LD3R

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I know! But Im using it for something else aswell!

I did read it and I dont understand were to plot! It I got my coordinates of that wikiearth ! Then its says you have to click on a link and I dont see the link!

Nvidia vForce 680i Sli
E8400 @ 3ghz
22" Benq LCD
Sagitta Gaming Case
Zalman 750W PSU
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

use google earth, much easier : http://earth.google.com
BOB D@ BU1LD3R

PostPosted: Sun Mar 30, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still dont understand how to plot my location!

Nvidia vForce 680i Sli
E8400 @ 3ghz
22" Benq LCD
Sagitta Gaming Case
Zalman 750W PSU
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

* Register on www.wug.za.net - this is the main site for all the WUGs in ZA (DBN, CT, JHB, etc.)

* Activate your account and log in to www.wug.za.net (not the forum) the main page.

* Using Google Earth to get the coordinates for your location (please use the decimal degrees-only format eg. -25.5764, 28.4634 ... To set google earth to display it this way click Tools -> Options and set the coordinate format to Decimal Degrees)

* If you can not use Google Earth (blocked by firewall or policies etc.) you can use www.wikimapia.org to find your coordinates. Browse to your house, put the cross in the middle of the screen on your house then look at the URL for the page. The URL wil look something like this : http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=-25.724021&lon=28.223405&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2 in the URL you will find the coordinates after the lat and lon keywords - in this case it will be : -25.724021, 28.223405

* Click WugNet -> WugPlotter -> Add location and enter your locations details (the height input is the height above the ground that you will be able to mount an antenna)

* When your location is added you can download the google earth KML file (click WugPlotter -> Download KML) to see all the other nodes on the network, see which highsites are near you. Open the KML file with Google Earth.

* To check if you have theoretical line of sight to a highsite you can draw a LOS diagram by clicking WugPlotter -> Line of Sight Calculator and then select your location and one of the Highsites (or any other location) from the list. If the red line runs from the one node to the other without running through the black profile - your have LOS theoretically, if there are no buildings in the way

hope it helps
th0rn

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: PWP coverage Reply with quote

BOB D@ BU1LD3R,

There is potential coverage from a PWP (www.pwp.za.net) highsite, but we are still trying to get kit together to cover your area.

The coverage would come from the h4ckii node on wind.pwp.za.net, please register yourself on wind.pwp.za.net.

What kit do you have?
dvius

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: How do I plot + What gear do I need - sticky required Reply with quote

Can we make this a sticky so that we can direct ppl here when they ask how to plot etc? How about adding another sticky to explain what gear someone will need as we seem to get that Q ALOT! Smile

ProtZkroG wrote:
* Register on www.wug.za.net - this is the main site for all the WUGs in ZA (DBN, CT, JHB, etc.)

* Activate your account and log in to www.wug.za.net (not the forum) the main page.

* Using Google Earth to get the coordinates for your location (please use the decimal degrees-only format eg. -25.5764, 28.4634 ... To set google earth to display it this way click Tools -> Options and set the coordinate format to Decimal Degrees)

* If you can not use Google Earth (blocked by firewall or policies etc.) you can use www.wikimapia.org to find your coordinates. Browse to your house, put the cross in the middle of the screen on your house then look at the URL for the page. The URL wil look something like this : http://www.wikimapia.org/#lat=-25.724021&lon=28.223405&z=16&l=0&m=a&v=2 in the URL you will find the coordinates after the lat and lon keywords - in this case it will be : -25.724021, 28.223405

* Click WugNet -> WugPlotter -> Add location and enter your locations details (the height input is the height above the ground that you will be able to mount an antenna)

* When your location is added you can download the google earth KML file (click WugPlotter -> Download KML) to see all the other nodes on the network, see which highsites are near you. Open the KML file with Google Earth.

* To check if you have theoretical line of sight to a highsite you can draw a LOS diagram by clicking WugPlotter -> Line of Sight Calculator and then select your location and one of the Highsites (or any other location) from the list. If the red line runs from the one node to the other without running through the black profile - your have LOS theoretically, if there are no buildings in the way

hope it helps
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all info : http://www.ptawug.co.za/index/page/content/act/list/id/11
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> PTA WUGs All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: