FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Serious Question Regarding Sharing

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Worried about getting caught for sharing illegal content on your WUG?
Yes
11%
 11%  [ 2 ]
No
88%
 88%  [ 15 ]
Total Votes : 17

WUGn00b

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Serious Question Regarding Sharing Reply with quote

How do you handle the constant threat of being caught or prosecuted by the BSA (Business Software Alliance) or any other Anti-Piracy agencies in South Africa; surely the person in charge of a specific WUG can be held liable for users sharing illegal content even with the best EULAs, etc.

This is my greatest worry for a starting a WUG in my town.

I know it is difficult for them to actually find your exact location, but heck, anything is possible.

How do you handle this issue?
oceanmaster

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: WHO IS RESPONSIBLE... Reply with quote

My point of view.. may not be factual:

The person running the high site/s is only allowing for connectivity.

As yet there is no law in South Africa that says an (even though we are not isp's) isp's is responsible for the content of thier clients p2p uploads/downloads.

Regarding the network: as it's open, anyone can connect and share what they like. If there are complaints then it is the duty of the person running the high site to check it out.. and sort out the problem by either giving a warning or disconnecting that cpe.

So far, we don't have dorks in our midst... only nerds Cool
Roloreaper

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your WUG should state that if it is found anyone Dealing with Pirate content/items actions will and/or can be taken against the user. Its up to the WUG admin to decide the Punishment (Sound harsh, lol) As the WUG Administrators you have to locations of connections. You have enough knowledge to find where a pc is being routed thru. And if police wish to know you will and must comply as long as they have a warrant and/or Proper Legal authority. And it does not touch their ooo so fragile Human Rights! Smile
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no one owns jawug so no one but the end user can be held liable. You ISP doesnt get held responsible if you have illegal software same i idea, we just dont provide any commercial services so no one is losing money because of us
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: