FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Bloemfontein WUG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
qc

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys

just wanna find out if this is still going to happen, I'm currently in Universitas, can maybe organize a point in Unversitas Rif aswell.
java

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

qc wrote:
Hi guys

just wanna find out if this is still going to happen, I'm currently in Universitas, can maybe organize a point in Unversitas Rif as well.

No idea, seems to be quiet, am in Navalview - and if I had not hit a few financial sinkholes, recently, I'd have a node up ... , that has now been tentatively moved to March next year ... <sigh>
qc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

o ok, will wait and see then if this is going to happen.
Nitro.Piet

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:00 pm    Post subject: Bloemmies Reply with quote

Hey

I am very much interested in joining/setting up the WUG in Bloemfontein. I live behind spitskop in langenhovenpark Sad

I anyone is interested, you are welcome to PM me.
dryburn.macbook

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 10:39 pm    Post subject: hi im in west dene Reply with quote

java wrote:
qc wrote:
Hi guys

just wanna find out if this is still going to happen, I'm currently in Universitas, can maybe organize a point in Unversitas Rif as well.

No idea, seems to be quiet, am in Navalview - and if I had not hit a few financial sinkholes, recently, I'd have a node up ... , that has now been tentatively moved to March next year ... <sigh>

hi yea im in westdene right close to 2nd ave... pm if there are any developments
HvRooyen

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: High site! Reply with quote

Hi guys:

I recently moved, now own a potential high site. Look for LOS to HvRooyen. I have not bought equipment yet, waiting to hear from others what they have - 5.8 or 2.4? I suspect 5.8 will be better in the long run, but if I think the other sites are all 2.4...
Dr_Gonzo: What equipment do you have? I am pretty sure we can link - might get this thing started. I am willing to point narrow beam at your site and then a sector out towards the north-east.

Just so everyone knows up front: I am not a gamer and will be spending very little time on the WUG. I am only putting this up in the hope that it will kickstart the development of an open network in Bfn.
wireless

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: High site Reply with quote

Hi all.

I have a routerboard 532 that I can donate to a BFN high site. No RF card on it.
wuzzawugga

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

is there any life in the BFN WUG?

just heard about it.

live in DanPienaar.

would like to discuss the possibilities
Messugga

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2009 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Dan Pienaar area's quite tough as there is a hill in between you guys and the South/West, which ruins LoS (I checked as I wanted to hook up the missus).
All we really need is a good high-site. Unfortunately finances are a tad tight here right now and I'm not absolutely positive that I'm going to still be in Bloem come next year so I'm a bit careful about setting something up now.
That being said, should I be in Bloem come the end of January, I'll probably be setting up a link towards LHP and possibly a grid antenna facing towards a couple of guys around 600m from my house. That should jump-start the thing nicely.

I think there are quite a few people that would be interested in joining, but nobody wants to go through the expense only to have the network fail. If there was something solid those people would get onboard, I'm sure.
As I said though, if I'm still here next year, I'll take the plunge and get something bigger than a tiny omni-directional set up.
wireless

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:35 am    Post subject: Exciting News in the new year! Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have some exciting news that could make the Bloemfontein Wug waking up overnight. I have been contacted by Winnie and they are considering to attempt a direct link from the PTA wug to BFN! See http://www.wug.za.net/newlos2.php?fl=2387&tl=148 .

If this works it will be great. From our (BFNWUG) side the following issues needs attention.

1) This linked will be trialed to my site because we do not have an effective Highsite that can link to PTAWUG. This has sever implication ie if I move out of the area the link could be lost. We need to find a possible future highsite. The water tower at heuwelsig would be ideal. Can anybody help with this ie power rights to mount on tower, rights to access , authorisation to climb on tower etc ?

2) Costs for the Highsites and expertise.

3) Training and guidance we can get. We will have the benefit that the clever guys from PTA will be here during the trial. I will provide room & board to them but perhaps we can have a meet with them somewhere that someone can organise when they come so we can clone them or at least their knowledge!

4) I understand that this will be a world record attempt as well! 348.04 km link.

Kom kerels moenie slaap nie kom ons kom saam en maak 'n plan!

Wireless.
HvRooyen

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What equipment is needed? Surely this can not be done with a standard kit? Cost?

I notice there is similar LOS to my site (HvRooyen) - might help if you move later. LOS from HvRooyen to Heuwelsig also looks promising.
Russian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:03 am    Post subject: Bloem Wug Reply with quote

Hi,

There is a guy in PTA that has some equipment that I bekieve we are going to modify.

So we would be testing this link from south of JHB to Bloem.

You guys should realy try and get your wug running, forget about the other people stop waiting. Find one person to connect to and connect to them, make mini links then move to bigger stuff. If you can not even do that then there is no hope.

Please, we would like to get the whole country connected at some time during our life span.

Kimberly link would also becomeing live soon, also to the south of JHB.

Once your connected to GP see if you can spread your wings Smile.

Please stop putting things off an get some equipment up, make an effort.
Come and advertise you have a grid/omni/panel transmitting in xyz direction, make people want to join.

And if you are afraid you would be moveing?? Then take the kit down when/if you do move, or arange that bloem wug/someone buys it from you, and make arangements with the new owners.

Hope to see you guys connected soon

Jawug/Ptawug Team
wireless

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all.

I apologise for the excitement cause recently on the site. The excitement was caused by the LOS caclulcation hosted on the WUG site and for normal close range less than 30 km this LOS is fine. It does no bend however and take the natural bending of the earth into account . For Longer distances please use this link http://www.wavearena.eu/calculator/en/index/distance that use the bend the earth has to adjust.

To link BFN to Platberg/Hartbeesfontein we will need 10 repeating stations. This should be compared to the costs of direct VPN links via Telkom ADSL or a METHOD Ham radio guys use and call Moonbounce . I am trying to excite the local HAM guys to help us. For info see http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-moonbounce.htm. We only need 2 RF trasnmiietsr able to transmit at 1.5Kw and receive 100mW to/from the moon .

Sorry guys.
winnie

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will it work, i dont know. it is a test. http://www.wavearena.eu/calculator/en/index/distance this site does take into affect the earth's curve. but then we test the link from klerksdorp. 260km, but still - would be fun trying.

all i ask is for a high landing point in bloem to do testing.

this "wireless" game really only becomes fun when we try new things. if it doesnt work now - one day it will.

if anyone interested in bloem please give me shout

winnie
java

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is the frequency that is to be used here, 2.4 or 5.8 ... ?

Does anyone in Bloem, sell Mikrotik gear?

Regards,

Russell
Node: 5:7105/1
E-Mail: rtiedt@telkomsa.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 2 of 11

Jump to: