FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Bloemfontein WUG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
HvRooyen

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So far only 2.4, but I am considering 5.8. No Mikrotik resellers as far as I know.
H.
java

PostPosted: Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, all being equal, I want to buy a 2.4 Mikrotik setup - as it seems 2.4 has a wider acceptance.

Why do you think 5.8 would be better in the long run?

Having been looking at line of sight, about the only folks I have a decent chance of connecting with are Owen Harris, Adriaan Harris, Deon, Monkee, Schnaker Rlombard and CNS Kelner ...

My guess would be that Deon, and the 2 Harris'es would be my best possibilities.
Node: 5:7105/1
E-Mail: rtiedt@telkomsa.net
HvRooyen

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1569271
2.4 is used by home WiFi routers, so the possibility for interference is higher.
My impression is that most high sites / backbone links in JHB and PTA are 5.8 for this reason. This fits in best with what I intend to provide.
That been said, there is no sense in my providing the only 5.8 link in Bfn.
H.
wireless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

H,

I will be able to link to you via 5.8 Ghz with my exist equipment and maybe provide a relay to the Harris's. I have been unable however to pick them up! We can try tonight from me to you? Give me a ring.

wireless
java

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HvRooyen wrote:
See http://www.wi-fiplanet.com/tutorials/article.php/1569271
2.4 is used by home WiFi routers, so the possibility for interference is higher.
My impression is that most high sites / backbone links in JHB and PTA are 5.8 for this reason. This fits in best with what I intend to provide.
That been said, there is no sense in my providing the only 5.8 link in Bfn.
H.

Well, with the mixed equipment around, being able to handle both, is probably a requirement, tho 5.8 for direct links, and possibly long haul would be fine ...
WillieRas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys.. I'm new to this website and only became aware of the BFNWug as a result of me looking into long range wifi equipment to connect myself and 2 other friends here in BFN. Please indulge me with a couple of questions i have.

1. I see that the Ubiquiti Nanostation range (2 and 5) is becoming quite popular and as i read on this forum most people use Mikrotik equipment. What is the best to use to connect to the WUG? I see that with a strong antenna the nanostations range can be over 50 KM. I am 7.4 Km from my one friend and have LOS.

2. We have a group of friends living in DeWetsdorp who would all join the wug if a connection between bloem and dewetsdorp can be established. With my mention of the equipment above, do you think this is possible and what would we need.. besides LOS..

3. I downloaded the KMZ file from the site and i see that there is very little active nodes. Does BFNWug have a server running with services simular to PTAWug and others, e.g. chat, online gaming, wugtube? Or is it basicly like browsing for computers in "My Network Places".... Please excuse me if this is a stupid question but i couldnt find any info on this online.

Kind Regards
Willie Ras

P.S. My location on the kmz is in Bloemspruit under "Point WR"
wireless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Willie,

1) There is no problem with Ubiquiti especially as a Client. Mikrotik is however more versatile/configurable and it can easily be set up with mulltiple RF CARDs able to act as a client/Relay or a HS or Link .

2) For a long range link a GRID antenna plus 5.8 GHz is recommended. See if they can see my site Heuwelsig and we can try a trial link.

3) As far as the BLOEM WUG is concerned . We are in our infancy stage. What is a definite no-no is doing anything commercial or providing any internet on the network. The ISM band is meant for non-commercial things ie Gaming, DC-HUBs, IRC etc. People are on the WUG for different things ie for a hobby and interest in RF networks, antenna design , curiousity, Social networking ability to network via IRC with like minded guys and chat, Setting up community services like providing the neigbourhoodwatch with IPTV etc. The things that you would be able to do will with enough effort be similar to internet with the exclusion of having to pay for monthly use and not able to link to the internet.

Speak to JAVA , he is your nearest neigbour and he is dying to link to your networks as well as getting the Bloem Wug organised.
java

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless wrote:

Speak to JAVA , he is your nearest neigbour and he is dying to link to your networks as well as getting the Bloem Wug organised.

Dunno, that I am "dying" to link anywhere, not too keen on dying just yet. But, well yes, I am rather keen, to have a local Wireless User Group, where we can play, experiment and test things ...

I am hoping that I will get a bonus this coming March, with which I want to buy myself some "kit", BUT, the Boss, was making noises to the effect, that profitability, is seriously down, yesterday, so I am hoping this is not a preamble to saying no bonus this year ... , only two months to go ... , everybody at work is holding thumbs, I get my bonus, as I am the first for the year, everybody else has their birthday later in the year, and if I get, then they know they will as well, later in the year ... Laughing

I have a Linux box here, that can easily become a Web/FTP/IRC/ and Counter-Strike Source server Deathmatch/RPG/GunGame as well as standard games. Must still figure out how to run a COD4 Linux server
wireless

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOZ!
WillieRas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info Wireless.. I looked at the LOS between Dewetsdorp and Heuwelsig and it doesnt look to good... A quick question again please... On the result pic of the LOS, what does the yellow oval represent.. I know the straight green line is the direct LOS.

Java... March sounds just about right... I havent bought any equipment yet. I looked at the LOS between me and you and it looks good.. Will the standard wug kit you purchase at scoop do? The distance is 8.4 Km.. Do you know what the maximum range is for the standard wug kit? The two other friends i mentioned are actually very close to you... both in andries pretorius street.. What size hard drives do your linux box have? I experimented today on my home lan and saw that you can create and share torrents on a lan (only available on the lan) using uTorrent... For all legal content offcourse......lol....Wink
Russian

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Grate to see you guys getting exoted about Bloemwug

We hope that we can be joining our wug groups together soon.

Just to answer some off the above questions.

The yellow lines ins the fresnal zone, that needs to be clear aswell as the signal does noot travelin in a direct straight line it curves upwords and downwords like the yellow lines.

Yes, 5.8 is a better option to go for, you guys should not have to much problem with 2.4 tho, but 2.4 only has 3 usable frequincies, then you get overlaps that justs does not work lekker.

You can use either 2.4 or 5.8 short or longhaul, depends on the distance and los Smile

Standard kit at scoop is usaly a Rb433 with r52 radio that doe 2.4 and 5.8, with a 27dbi 5.8 grid. you can up to about 50km if there is good los and no noise, I would recomend not using r52 radios on HS's tho, as they dont have any noise filters, rather get R5h, XR5, f-50 Pro, r52n radios with better noise filters.

Please also keep your LMR cables as short as possible. 1-2m is all you need.

I have received the equipment from winnie for the testing of the 150,250,350km links. We hope to have you guys connected by year end, would be even better if we can accoplish this before June.

If you dont know about this link, look around on the posts it's there.
We would need a HS as high as possible there in bloem, where we could link to Klerksdorp or Platberk side.

But well get there laters Smile

now GROW GROW GROW !!!
WillieRas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Russian... I'm very excited about this... I'm definately getting connected as soon as possible... It would be great if we are connected to Jhb... I think Bfn wuggers wil increase expedentially once that happen... But until then we will start things up with small networks and as you say...grow grow grow...

I know advertising is expensive but if we really want to expand we have to get the word out about BfnWug. Until a week ago i did'nt even know these size wifi networks existed.. Maybe free online clasifieds or an ad on the bloemwhat website... I see there is a BFNWug facebook page but there is no activity... Not even a creator of the page is listed... absolutely no info... I think i will start a new page there...

I'm going to a lan party tomorrow and there wil be a lot of gamers from all industries including IT.. Ill tell them whats going on and see how many people we can get together to start a respecatable BfnWug...

cheers...
java

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:

Java... March sounds just about right... I havent bought any equipment yet. I looked at the LOS between me and you and it looks good.. Will the standard wug kit you purchase at scoop do? The distance is 8.4 Km.. Do you know what the maximum range is for the standard wug kit? The two other friends i mentioned are actually very close to you... both in andries pretorius street.. What size hard drives do your linux box have? I experimented today on my home lan and saw that you can create and share torrents on a lan (only available on the lan) using uTorrent... For all legal content offcourse......lol....Wink

With Naval Hill behind me, if you are not to far to the right, towards, DeWetsdorp, then LOS shouldn't be a problem ... , the problem is, I am in "jail" to the one side, I am in the shadow of Naval hill, to the other side I have Palm Court, which is blocking LOS, opposite Palm Court, I have Cedar Mansions, blocking LOS ... , to you I either put up a "high" antenna, or run a long, long ethernet cable as you are on the opposite side of the complex, tho with some luck, a much shorter run might be possible.

Andries Pretorius Street is just too close to me, but might not be impossible, depending where, and on which side of the street ... , otherwise LOS goes way over the top ...

The Scoop WUG kit, should be good for a heck of a lot further than you are ... , and I am inclined to go for the 5.8 version, tho I might just get a 2.4 card as well ...

The Linux box has a 6Gig. and a 120 or 160Gig. HDD in it ...
java

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:

I know advertising is expensive but if we really want to expand we have to get the word out about BfnWug. Until a week ago i did'nt even know these size wifi networks existed.. Maybe free online clasifieds or an ad on the bloemwhat website... I see there is a BFNWug facebook page but there is no activity... Not even a creator of the page is listed... absolutely no info... I think i will start a new page there...

Well, I am busy working on a web page, "Wireless" has made some suggestions which are cause for a third edition or revision to be underway. Not a Facebook etc. fan ... , as far as advertising goes, well, when we have something to write about BloemNews and Ons Stad, will publish what we have to write about, for free, we just need to ask them and submit the article ... , then there are various other local publications but one needs to pay to advertise in them ...

Quote:

I'm going to a lan party tomorrow and there wil be a lot of gamers from all industries including IT.. Ill tell them whats going on and see how many people we can get together to start a respecatable BfnWug...

cheers...

Word of mouth, coupled with demonstrations, are the best advertising ...
WillieRas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree.... word of mouth... Let's get ourselves up and running first and then go from there...

I think it's gonna be a lot of trial & error.... But that is also the reason why we should get more people on this....expand the coverage...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: