FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Bloemfontein WUG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
java

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:
I agree.... word of mouth... Let's get ourselves up and running first and then go from there...

I think it's gonna be a lot of trial & error.... But that is also the reason why we should get more people on this....expand the coverage...

We just need to get a "backbone" established from wireless to yourself, and we should be ready to rumble ...
Node: 5:7105/1
E-Mail: rtiedt@telkomsa.net
WillieRas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats gonna be a problem.... or Navil Hill i think is the problem...

LOS:

http://www.wug.za.net/newlos2.php?fl=13271&tl=2387
WillieRas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were gonna need something like this....

From myself to Arboretum:
http://www.wug.za.net/newlos2.php?fl=13271&tl=11322

And from Arboretum to Heuwelsig:
http://www.wug.za.net/newlos2.php?fl=11322&tl=2387

or something like that....
java

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:

Thats gonna be a problem.... or Navil Hill i think is the problem...

Now, if we could get a multi-sector repeater up on one of, Sentech/iBursts/SABC or the other towers up there, then we could also be well away ... , except for folks like me who are in the "shadow" area of Naval Hill ... , might not get a direct benefit from a HS on Naval Hill myself ...
wireless

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is already someone transmitting on Naval Hill on 5.8 GHz. I see SSID's like NVN,nvnpoe,NDXCH,NH2DXC,NVW,nvnpoe,222 & tadnavsec33. on 5280,5320 & 5180 MHz.

We must try and get this guy contacted as all of them belongs to the same guy except the last SSID.

Maybe we can convince them to allow us to put hardware on their towers or that they setup a relay station themselves? See if you can find this NVN?
java

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wireless wrote:
There is already someone transmitting on Naval Hill on 5.8 GHz. I see SSID's like NVN,nvnpoe,NDXCH,NH2DXC,NVW,nvnpoe,222 & tadnavsec33. on 5280,5320 & 5180 MHz.

We must try and get this guy contacted as all of them belongs to the same guy except the last SSID.

Maybe we can convince them to allow us to put hardware on their towers or that they setup a relay station themselves? See if you can find this NVN?

That will take some doing, but one never knows when one will get lucky ... , do you know which tower they are one?

Sent you the latest webpage to look at, one small problem, then I think it can go up ...
WillieRas

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning guys.. Came back from the lan party this morning at 03:30 am... Had a lot of fun as usual... I spoke to the guys and it seems the same thing is on everybodies mind... One guy told me that the wireless on navil hill belongs to the municipality to connect to Thaba Nchu.

I'm not sure what his occupation is but his suggestion was to put up a high site on top of the CR Swart building as they do have access to it... Ill keep you informed...
java

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:
Morning guys.. Came back from the lan party this morning at 03:30 am... Had a lot of fun as usual... I spoke to the guys and it seems the same thing is on everybodies mind... One guy told me that the wireless on navil hill belongs to the municipality to connect to Thaba Nchu.

I'm not sure what his occupation is but his suggestion was to put up a high site on top of the CR Swart building as they do have access to it... Ill keep you informed...

Glad you enjoyed it, drove past you on the way to my father-in-law this morning after church. Without coffee Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Mad or breakfast, the power went off last night, around 10:30 and has yet to come back on. Rolling Eyes Mad Mad - Am connected via my EeePc and a Vodacom 3G modem.

Just keep in mind that having access and having permission to mount a unit there are not the equivalent or the same, but two distinctly different situations. Smile

But keep the guy in mind, he might still be useful ... Wink Laughing
WillieRas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys... Bit of a subject change for a moment... I want to order my equipment tomorrow. But i'm struggling to decide what to get. What do you think?

A standard wug kit (MikroTik) or something packing more punch like the Rocket M5 and Rocket Dish from Ubiquiti.

The guy at scoop told me that it does'nt matter if i go for stronger equipment if the distance dont exceed 15km... I have theoretical line of sight to naval hill from the LOS plotter but there are some trees in between.... what do you think..?

I will try to get the antenna as high as possible..

Do you guys know what is the maximum distance the POE injector can be from the routerboard/Rocket m5? I can mount the antenna on a old telkom pole (wires stolen) on our property but then it wil be about 50 to 70 meters away from my house.

One last thing..... I see scoop have 2 different 5.8 Ghz wug kits...

WUG-K3 5.8GHz CPE, RB-433, R52, 5.8 Grid
and
WUG-K5 UT4, 5.8 27dBi, RB-433, R52, POE-15

What is the difference and which is better?
java

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:
Hi Guys... Bit of a subject change for a moment... I want to order my equipment tomorrow. But i'm struggling to decide what to get. What do you think?

Am a little undecided myself ... , no decision made ...

Quote:

I will try to get the antenna as high as possible..

Not all will agree with me, but put your antenna only as high as is needed - think - lightning ...

Quote:

Do you guys know what is the maximum distance the POE injector can be from the routerboard/Rocket m5? I can mount the antenna on a old telkom pole (wires stolen) on our property but then it wil be about 50 to 70 meters away from my house.

See this link on mybroadband ...

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthread.php?213621-POE-max-distance

Quote:

One last thing..... I see scoop have 2 different 5.8 Ghz wug kits...

WUG-K3 5.8GHz CPE, RB-433, R52, 5.8 Grid
and
WUG-K5 UT4, 5.8 27dBi, RB-433, R52, POE-15

What is the difference and which is better?

Basically they are the same, except that the WUG-K3 has an 19 dbi 5.8 antenna built into the plastic box dohicky and the the WUG-K5 does not ... i.e. the WUG-K3 comes with 2 antenna's and the WUK-K5 only the grid antenna - my take on the differences

My choice would be the WUG-K3 rather than the WUG-K5 - but then different strokes for different folks why there are different options.

Just keep in mind that the prices on the Scoop sight do not include VAT ...

Started writing a web page for BFNWUG ... , not that I have a particular talent for that task ... Smile
WillieRas

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Not all will agree with me, but put your antenna only as high as is needed - think - lightning ...

I was worrying about that..... arent there a way to ground the antenna..... ill google it....lol

Quote:
Started writing a web page for BFNWUG ... , not that I have a particular talent for that task ...Smile

How about a sneak peek? I'll PM you my email address...

Have you seen the articel on the new WugTube service running on CTWUG... I wonder if the video files are uploaded to a server or do the video stays on the node pc... http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Wireless/10203.html
wireless

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Note the WUG kit 3 has 2 antennas. The grid plus the internal flat panel inside the enclosure. That is referrered to as a CPE. The WUG kit 5 does not have the flat panel antenna only a waterproof enclosure. So if deciding between the 2 go for wug kit 3 is my advice.

Note also that for Nstreme you only need to buy a second RF card for 3 and if your link is close enough it is a Nstreme link if similar equip on other end. With the wug kit 5 to get same you need to buy the rf card +plus the second antenna to do the same.
java

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:

I was worrying about that..... arent there a way to ground the antenna..... ill google it....lol

Yes you can earth it, and the better you earth it, the better your equipment has a chance of surviving, you are likely to have a lot more induced surges than the likely hood of a direct hit ...

Well, not sure anything will survive a direct hit ... Sad

See a lot of direct hits 300 - 400 meters from my window on Naval Hill ...

Quote:

Quote:
Started writing a web page for BFNWUG ... , not that I have a particular talent for that task ...Smile

How about a sneak peek? I'll PM you my email address...

Hmm, will put it up on my webspace when I think it is ready for criticism Smile and let you have the URL ...

Quote:

Have you seen the articel on the new WugTube service running on CTWUG... I wonder if the video files are uploaded to a server or do the video stays on the node pc... http://mybroadband.co.za/news/Wireless/10203.html

Need a Linux server with all the bits installed PHP, MySql Apache etc. ...
PeetKlopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys... Please see my post at http://www.wug.za.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1505 if you have any advise for me... I see you guys are also starting up a wug so any help would be apreciated...
java

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WillieRas wrote:

Just came across this ....

From the RouterBOARD 433 Series User's Manual

RouterBOARD 433 series boards are compatible with non-standard (passive) Power over Ethernet injectors
(except power over datalines) and accept powering over up to 100m (330 ft) long Ethernet cable connected
to the Ethernet port (JCool. The board does not work with IEEE802.3af compliant 48V power injectors.
The maximum output of the power supply to the extension cards is normally at about 5.5A.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Other All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 4 of 11

Jump to: