FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Law
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
william1981

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Law Reply with quote

Hi everyone

I have a big problem as to how legal is the network?

To be more precise the broadcasting signals, from some of the info that I could get from ppl is that wifi are not allowed to be more then set distance and apparently there is also a issue with signal strength (Watts) of a WiFi network.

Does it not mean that if one sends and revive a signal over a set distains (km) it is considered broadcasting, and there for one must have a license?

And does it not interfere with other industries that uses and pays for these frequencies like the ie. mining industry?

Sorry I just would like to make sure I don’t step into anything illegal.

Many Thanks
William Shocked
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy, good question and it seems everyone is asking the same thing. WUGs use ISM frequency ranges which are meant for Industrial, Scientific and Medical reasearch network, and not for commercial activities. (Although all these wisps seems to exploit these frequency ranges like there is no tomorrow) anyway...

The WUGs provide no commercial services like internet, or hosting or anything like that, therefore its completely legal to send data freely in these frequency bands as long as it stays for non-commercial and non-profit. We have sent our application to ICASA which puts us in the license exemption category, if you would like this document let me know, its freely available...
william1981

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi xarion

Thanks for replying so quickly.

Yes can you please send me a link for that document or even e-mail it to me if you can at william_weare@hotmail.com

You say that you have sent the application to ICASA for a license exemption have they approved it as yet?
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are waiting for ICASA to get their act into gear, we might all die before that happens...
william1981

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds just like someone described them this afternoon.

I can’t remember were I read it but they can fine a person up to R20 000.00 if found using a frequency that is not allocated to them, do you think that they will go around and pick up where there are strong signals check the frequency and go and check the licenses. As the person I spoke to told me of a couple of businesses that had to close there doors as a result of them using a frequency that was not allocated to them?
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is very possible, ISM frequencies are 'free-for-alls' you can buy allocated frequencies from ICASA which belong to you for a certain area, and only you are allowed to use them. with ISM you do not need a licence check out wikipedia for ISM BAND
bbj

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Once again, the wug operates in the ISM band ( Industry, Scientific, Medical research ). This band is not policed by ICASA. Infact, theyre prohibited form policing it. ICASA cannot issue you with a license to operate anything in the ISM bands ( yea, theres more than one ).
daffy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

william1981 wrote:
That sounds just like someone described them this afternoon.

I can’t remember were I read it but they can fine a person up to R20 000.00 if found using a frequency that is not allocated to them, do you think that they will go around and pick up where there are strong signals check the frequency and go and check the licenses. As the person I spoke to told me of a couple of businesses that had to close there doors as a result of them using a frequency that was not allocated to them?

If you use a frequency that someone else has paid for, its theft.
Its their frequency, and only they can use it.

The ISM bands cannot be "sold".
Nitrious+

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The non regulated ISM bands have been explained, which is where the wug operates. Your interest in this intrigues me however.

Nitrious
william1981

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oky so now I have established (I think) that we are allowed to work within the set frequencies, her comes my other problem signal strength from your output devise.
I was looking over the government regulations over some of the industries output devises and how many Watt those output devices may give out and I think the highest was about 5W and the ave. was in the 25mW – 250mW range. And that was at some of the dedicated frequency range.

I then went to Scoop’s web page to try and check on some of there devices and could not find any ref. to how many mW – W output there kits can do. The problem comes in if the output device is to strong one will flood or over power all the other signals with in those range on that signal range, and in the worst case scenario, if the signal is to strong the frequencies will be strying over onto lets say 2550gH that is allocated to dedicated user group and as was mentioned is considered theft or that is my theory am I correct in saying this
kameelperdza

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 9:51 am    Post subject: re Reply with quote

Icasa is asking you so much nonsens when you fill out the exempt page of their gazette. I might also have to fill out that page so that i can be on the safe side of icasa.
william1981

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all
has any new ground been made with ICASA licence?
F4ckn

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi william,
i am an active member on jawug, and im pretty certain we havent heard back from ICASA.
They hardly do anything about people using illegal spectrum, i highly doubt they would be sorting us out in a hurry.
My bet is that we will make a notice on wug.za.net once this happens, but dont hold your breath.

F4ckn,
Citr0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 8:37 pm    Post subject: Licence Exemption Info Reply with quote

My few steps to licence exemption I'm taking.

I spoke to a Ashwald Nchabeleng, he said I must sent him a email. So I sent him one that I think will keep him busy for a long time Razz

Have a look at this :

http://www.ellipsis.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/licence_exemption_regulations_2008.pdf

Basic story is and what will work best is reg a Section 21 Company, this is 7 people that forms the non profit company. Now you apply for your licence exemption ECS / ECNS.

<snip>

3. ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATIONS SERVICE
(1) A person who provides ECS on a non-profit basis is licence exempt and may include, but not limited to:
(a) a non profit organization registered in terms of the Non-Profit Organizations Act, 1997 (Act No.71 of 1997);
(b) a company registered in terms of section 21 of the Companies Act, 1973 (Act No.61 of 1 973);
(c) a non-profit organization established in terms of any other Act of Parliament; or
(d) an entity that provides ECS to the public for free

Some contact info:

Ashwald Nchabeleng

011 566 3661

dnchabeleng@icasa.org.za

Mail Form M to him @ Private Bag x10002, Santon, 2146

Or you can bug this dude. Beware of all the Postgraduate Diploma / Degrees - he knows what his talking about Very Happy (Bhaha - just my 2c)

Silas Phoshoko
Technology Analyst: Licensing & Compliance Division M.comm(UWC),PGD Business Admin.(UCT),PGD Electronic Eng.(SUN), PGD Telecoms & Info. (UNISA),B.Sc Hons (UNIN)

Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA)

Block D, Pinmill Farm
164 Katherine Street
Sandton

Landline: 0027 11 566 3667
Cellphone: 0027 84 909 7322
Fax: 0027 11 566 3668

e-mail: sphoshoko@icasa.org.za

Hope this helps,
java

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Licence Exemption Info Reply with quote

Citr0 wrote:
My few steps to licence exemption I'm taking.

Thanks, for the info ...

Quote:

Some contact info:

Ashwald Nchabeleng

011 566 3661

dnchabeleng@icasa.org.za

Mail Form M to him @ Private Bag x10002, Santon, 2146

Ok, where does one obtain this form "M" ...?

Quote:

Or you can bug this dude. Beware of all the Postgraduate Diploma / Degrees - he knows what his talking about Very Happy (Bhaha - just my 2c)

Silas Phoshoko
Technology Analyst: Licensing & Compliance Division M.comm(UWC),PGD Business Admin.(UCT),PGD Electronic Eng.(SUN), PGD Telecoms & Info. (UNISA),B.Sc Hons (UNIN)

Independent Communications Authority of South Africa (ICASA)

Block D, Pinmill Farm
164 Katherine Street
Sandton

Landline: 0027 11 566 3667
Cellphone: 0027 84 909 7322
Fax: 0027 11 566 3668

e-mail: sphoshoko@icasa.org.za

Hope this helps,

Now, I don't mind "bugging" people, but doing so aimlessly, is not very productive ...

So on what grounds would I "bug" him ...

I.E. what does he do, and how can he be of assistance ... ?

That would help for starters

Once again thanks,

java
Node: 5:7105/1
E-Mail: rtiedt@telkomsa.net
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: