FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Using a old PC with a wlan PCI card in the roof as a router
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roan

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 4:06 pm    Post subject: Using a old PC with a wlan PCI card in the roof as a router Reply with quote

I heard it is possible to use a old PC as a router on wug.za.net. I even went one step further as to build my own WIFi dish out of a parabolic grid. Of course I had to buy my cables, connectors and jacks from Miro. Will the wug allow me to connect with this setup? And how does the software intstallation like the assigning of an IP differ from that of a routerboard?

P.S I get roughly around -77 signal. Rolling Eyes
Roan

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I Connected successfully. But there's a problem. I need to present my Radio Name to one of the IP Bitches but I don't know where to change that with my PCI card or even what it currently is. I'm stuck... " know for a fact that some has connected in such a way. If anybody could please share information it would be appreciated..
Pyro

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you try talk to the guys on IRC? Real-time chat works the best.
Roan

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend recently bought the official wugkit and I used his IRC to chat to some of the Bitches. Some didn't like the idea and told me to buy the kit or nothing but others told me they would assign me an IP if I could give them the Radio name. But I discovered that one could download RouterOS for a PC and use it to turn the whole thing practically into a RouterBOARD which I could operate from the PC in the house with winbox. The only problem is that it is a trail and it needs a license key. It only lasts 24 hours
nuddernuby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Roan,

What progress with your experimentation using a pc?
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use routerPC's a lot on PTAWUG highsites.

It works lekker for a highsite because it has a lot of CPU power and one can expand using pci to mini pci riser cards.

You need to have the PC as close to the antennas as possible, that means mounting it in a steel enclosure on the wall next to the mast, or on the mast.

a ROS lisence costs R400, a riser cards costs R400, an enclosure is R700, the rest is the same as the stardard kit. For a user it will MORE expensive using a PC to only connect as a client, than buying a routerboard.

Also a PC has moving parts, a Routerboard doesnt. PC's need more maintainence.
F4ckn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using RouterOS, on a PC or X86 architecture works great but there are pro's and con's with going either the PC or Routerboard route.

A lot of Highsites use PC based hardware because it its easy to expand and are very powerful from a processing point of view.
The downfall is now you need a drive, or more commonly a CF flash, a special PSU. You need a larger enclosure, and have a lot of things that can go wrong (as with all PC's)

Whilst using a routerboard, its all intergrated and desgined for this purpose... They can run on PoE so easy to power, their compact and very reliable.

So if your looking to just play around, download the RouterOS x86 and play, but if your connecting to a HS then i would strongly reccommend a routerboard.
nuddernuby

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the good feedback, chaps.
shearder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May i ask a stupid question - why would one need the router PC close to the antenae? also, i have an "old" mother board with processor and ram. Could i use an OS booted from a USB flash drive OR could i just connect to a computer in the house directly from the arial?

Where would i get the "How to's" for using a PC - i'e' what to buy etc etc - besides the RouterOS of course... in terms of hardware.
ProtZkroG

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

because the longer the co-ax cable from the radio to the antenna the more signal loss you get
SaVage

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah it is on the getting started guide on the site

Quote:
A few concepts need to be introduced; In order to maximise signal strength the router is usually situated within 1m of the external antenna, which means it needs to be housed in a waterproof external enclosure usually also mounted to the pole the antenna is mounted to.
shearder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AH ok makes sense. Sorry for all the dumb @ss questions guys! I guess the more i ask the more i will know when it's my turn to get this thing going lol
Roan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: PC as Router Reply with quote

Sorry it has been a long time since I was on this site. Well, in the end I connected successfully under the user KraakBal and have been on PTAWUG for 13 weeks now. It's true that the pc must be as close to the antenna as possible but mounting it outside is going too far. I use a 5 meter LMR-400 coax from the pole to the pc that is hanging from the wooden 'dakbalke' by nylon string. It's not a standard pc. It is an old compaq terminal with only a 120W PSU and 10gig IDE drive. I installed a gigabit NIC to create a gigabit connection to my pc in the house. The biggest pro is that my ping to CSS is 5 most of the time although my signal is only -75. It is because the pc has more speed than a RouterBOARD. And it isn't more expensive than a RouterBOARD IF you already have a spare old pc and a wlan card with Atheros chipset. You only use one PCI slot because you are a client so you don't have to buy all the stuff Protz mentioned.
shearder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah i have an old PC - the reason i asked how far it can be from the antenna is that the power supply wouldn't safely sit in an enclosure. However, I have an advantage where i don't have ceilings in the double story as the roof is thatch so it is open all the way to the top and i could mount the antenna outside and run the cable in a short distance. to the PC inside... but, anyways, if i wanted to have 360 degree coverage would that be 3 antennae? Could i assist in being a relay?
Roan

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shearder,

better to get omni, only R250 excl and covers 360 degrees. then you have your current grid as backbone.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Hardware All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: