FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Upper Highway Area (getting that little bit closer)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fray

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:35 pm    Post subject: Upper Highway Area (getting that little bit closer) Reply with quote

Hi all,

Are there any running nodes in the upper highway area? one that is probably running but the owner has not updated the status of it (either Planning or operational).

this is such a brilliant idea! i cant wait to get involved if I can!
your help would be hugely appreciated!

Cheers

Fray

Last edited by fray on Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
fray

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone have any idea as to how much it would cost to setup a High Site? ? ?

what if a whole bunch upper highway people co-ordinate and organise to get a High Site up and running to serve us all?
myself

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Fray

I see you trying to get the durban and more importantly the upper highway area (for me that is cos its where i stay) alive and going. Im keen to finally get connected. If you need a hand or anything getting set up or going just shout and will see if i can help.
With regards to how much it will cost to get High Site set up i have no idea, im all new to this. And more importantly where will you put a high site there are millions of hills and trees around us so it makes it a bit harder to find a good high site.

Matt
fray

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dude,

yeah i am really keen, spoke to the "juzzmoore" guy and there seems to be a LOS from "juzzmoore - office" to "iz1b1zi" we just need to get up on the roof there and check to see if we can see the place - otherwise we may need to speak to those insurance company people on top of fields hill.

so far including you, thats 5 people we have to get this thing going, so when we get around to testing the actual connection, we may need to ask for donations in setting up the highsite. check to see if you can get a LOS to juzzmoore office and we will take it from there.

distance shouldnt be a problem as the guys are currently attempting a 20.1km connection - you just need a bigger antenna!

so yeah let me know...
Fray
myself

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice so upper highway is getting on the map. Ok i have checked i can get LOS to juzzmoore office, 5km and no hills in the way, how must of a problem do trees make, cos im pretty sure theres plenty of them in the way.
I mite be able to donate somthing (cash and time) to get High site up and going, have you manage to find out wat the costs of getting the high site setup and running?

Matt
fray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, well im going to phone Miro to get a rough Price on everything, hopefully i can also learn a thing or two about DB gain vs distance...
will keep you posted.

Is this the Matt i think it is?
fray

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, pricing... here we go,
wow this DWC name is awesome! pricing is great, was cr@pping myself till i heard the pricing on the antennas!
(ex vat)

5.8GHz - Grid Antenna - 23.5 dBi (5470-5725) = R328
MikroT ik R/Board 433, 300MHz CPU, 64MB RAM, 3LAN, 3MiniPCI = R796
MikroT ik 802.11abg High Power Dual Band Mini PCI = R427
UFL to N-T ype(f) - 300mm Pigtail for Mini PCI Cards = R50
Acconet IP66 Enclosure, Mounting, WP RJ45, Studs = R305
Power over Ethernet Injector 24V 20 Watt (2 xRJ45) & Cord = R171

total incl. Vat = ZAR 2,367.78

so... if anyone is willing to help donate, im all hands!

just a note tho - this router board has 3 PCI slots, so this means we will have the ability to put 3 PCI cards on the board and have the ability to go three directions...

if someone wants to pay for an upgrade of the antennas to go broader so that we can reach their house again, im all hands open!

this is just the first potential highsite linking to the main DWC, i havent even thought of my own house Rolling Eyes
oh well next months salary, here we go.... Sad
myself

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey fray, yip this is the Matt you think it is, assuming its me you thinking of, Matt R. Hows it going.

Anyway back to business, that kit is quite cheep im quite surprised. So that will get us a high site on top of fields hill. Will we still have to point an antenna in our direction or with wats there will we be able to connect. If we have to then point an antenna in our direction what will it cost to add that aswell, no point making this high site and not been able to connect to it, rather add another antenna if its not to expensive.

The one thing that worries me is i have a theoretical LOS but looking in that direction from top of the roof all i see is green (trees), will there be enought power in the antenna to get a through few trees or will i not be able to pick up signal at all.

Im keen to get this up and going, will be able to donate a bit, when are you planing to get this going.

Matt
lowprofile

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Matt, I know at least one person you'd potentially be able to share costs and connect with, and that would be your neighbor, which, looking at the google earth overlay, turns out to be me Shocked

Any progress on this? I'm keen to get involved in this, as I never got any further than attending some of the initial meetings years ago, but now that it seems more likely to reach Hillcrest, I'm keen again!
Dewd

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also in Everton and am keen to get this going. Just started to look at this. Going to plot on the GE earth overlay and see where everyone is.
fray

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe we should all meet and discuss the viability of this?
Gory51

PostPosted: Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dewd wrote:
I'm also in Everton and am keen to get this going. Just started to look at this. Going to plot on the GE earth overlay and see where everyone is.

Hey man glad to see u here Smile

As for a meet, im keen to see whats on the cards too, but im just below fields hill in New Germany.
Dewd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking at it, the only place I get LOS to is the "Insurance Place" (called CC&A by the way) The point on the map is about 200m out though
Dewd

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I also get a theoretical LOS to Juzzmoore Office as well, but I'm sure there will be trees in the way.
IRG

PostPosted: Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Pinetown Reply with quote

I stay in the Pinetown area in Padfield Park. I'm in a nice dip, but there is a hill right next to my house with a view right over the whole of Durban. Its just below the Wyebank road, and I'm pretty damn sure it will be within Kloof's LOS. I have the equipment to set up a bridge / AP for a high sight, but dont know who to approach. This is the missing link from the DWC to the Upper Highway area + Pinetown, I'm sure of it - Who is gonna help me. I got a RB330 router board (3X 2.4ghz cards), Lets get this thing going!!! Here is where I was thinking 2947'6.04"S and 3051'45.73"E
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> DWC All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: