FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

PMBWug - Getting started on it, maybe...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kasyx

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: PMBWug - Getting started on it, maybe... Reply with quote

Hi,

I live in pmb, and as far as I am aware there is not currently a WUG here. I'm not really looking to start a full-on WUG with highpoints and so on yet. Right now, a friend and I are just looking to connect wirelessly to oneanother.

The details:

We live about 3km apart, I can't say for certain that we have direct line of sight, but, save for a few trees and such, we should have. In terms of elevation, he seems to be around 100m higher up than I. Right now we just want to set up a basic point-to-point wireless connection so we are effectively on the same LAN.

I have absolutely no experience with this sort of thing, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

My major questions are:

What hardware, exactly, are we going to need?
How much is this going to cost? We are on a budget.
What sort of speeds would we be able to get the connection running steadily on? (or is this relative to how much we spend)
Will both of us require an antenna?
What is the easiest way to ensure we have line of site - kinda difficult to see him standing on his roof waving from 3km away.

Right now I have the basic D-Link DWL-2100 AP, would I be able to use this for now, or would I have to invest in MikroTik?

(for anyone from pmb who is curious, this link will be between Pelham and Bisley)

I honestly have no idea how to even start going about this, but I am really keen and I hope it will be the start of a pmb wug.

Any help whatsoever would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> WugNet All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: