FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Small WUG central server

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PeetKlopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 11:48 am    Post subject: Small WUG central server Reply with quote

Hi Guys.. I need some help and advise please. I live in a small town and we have already established a small wug consisting of about 20 users. This is mostly done in our townhouse complex with standard wifi routers and a couple of guys in town with stronger long range wifi equipment.

The way we operate at the moment is basicly windows network style... browse the shared drives of connected users and when we play games its usually someone who host the game and the others connect. We use a small lan chat app for communication.

What i want to do is setup a central server that has a website all of us log into and then host services like the big WUG's, eg. jabber, voip, games, news feeds, forums, torrents etc. How do you propose i set about doing this? I was thinking a linux server, something like this: http://slampp.abangadek.com/info/index.php?page=home

Wat is the standard of the big WUG's. Are all services hosted from a central server or are they hosted from different users pc's or additional boxes connected to their networks?

Also,,, how do you go about managing ip addreses

Any help or link to a how to guide or something will be very much apreciated.
java

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Small WUG central server Reply with quote

PeetKlopper wrote:

What i want to do is setup a central server that has a website all of us log into and then host services like the big WUG's, eg. jabber, voip, games, news feeds, forums, torrents etc. How do you propose i set about doing this? I was thinking a linux server, something like this: http://slampp.abangadek.com/info/index.php?page=home

That should give you somewhere to start ...

Quote:

Wat is the standard of the big WUG's. Are all services hosted from a central server or are they hosted from different users pc's or additional boxes connected to their networks?

Also,,, how do you go about managing ip addreses

The DHCP server on the above will see to that ...

Quote:

Any help or link to a how to guide or something will be very much apreciated.

BTW where are you blokes located?
Node: 5:7105/1
E-Mail: rtiedt@telkomsa.net
PeetKlopper

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Christiana.... Thanks for the help... i'm gonna get the linux box ready and attempt to build a website.... i have only created small websites and never attemted something like this. How does the other WUG websites work? When you type in the address do you have to enter a username and password?

I suppose that when i want to incorporate thinks like forums and discussions that the website have to be connected to say MySql.... Any suggestions?
java

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PeetKlopper wrote:
In Christiana.... Thanks for the help... i'm gonna get the linux box ready and attempt to build a website.... i have only created small websites and never attemted something like this. How does the other WUG websites work? When you type in the address do you have to enter a username and password?

A bit far from here ... , web sites don't have to be fancy, but need to be functional, and fanciness often hinders functionality ... , usernames and passwords are only usefull in so far as security goes, i.e. allowing the webmaster to change the content of the site, but users should have free access ... , to the content that is, as that is the main purpose of a website ... , is to make information/files available ...

Quote:

I suppose that when i want to incorporate thinks like forums and discussions that the website have to be connected to say MySql.... Any suggestions?

When you get to forums, you are going to need a SQL database, either MySql/Postgress/SQL-Lite etc ...
Node: 5:7105/1
E-Mail: rtiedt@telkomsa.net
lemmings

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clearos
http://www.clearfoundation.com/Software/overview.html

or

freenas
www.freenas.org

im in kimberley just under 2 hours away if you need any help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> HowTo's All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: