FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

Krugersdorp to Pretoria

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jarnol

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:34 am    Post subject: Krugersdorp to Pretoria Reply with quote

If I have LOS to an operational HS in PTA. Can I connect to it over a distance of 50km?
uberflyx

PostPosted: Tue Jun 25, 2013 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howzit - the forums aren't very active so IRC is better to ask these things. But to save time in case someone else has this question I'll asnwer it here! Smile

50km is VERY far. If you do indeed have LOS (like you can see it through a telescope or binoculars) and there aren't trees, or someones house in the way then you may be able to scan them if you have a very powerful antenna, but it is highly doubtful that you will be able to connect.

Take a look around the wiki, JAWUG has links that go all the way to Potch over some pretty long links and it works. However, these are point-to-point links so they have a good dish (~30dBi at least) on both sides facing eachother exactly.

I managed to connect to GC (a 16dBi sector, on it's edge which makes it worse by 6dB or so at least) from a distance of 18km and I had a 26.5dBi grid. The link was not workable. But some guys who have better positioning have been able to connect over 22km with the same kit. Basically if you are in the middle of a sector you will have better signal.

In conculusion I don't think your 50km link will work. It would be cheaper (and more fun IMO) to buy some extra kit, convince someone half way to set up a repeater and then hop to JAWUG or PTAWUG that buy 2 huge dishes for each side.

Perhap's I'm mistaken, but have a look at a link budget calculator online and punch in some numbers. You will know the specs of your own stuff (probably say a 31dBi antenna, 23dBm wifi card, sensetivity -97dB. This would be a R52Hn card I think) don't forget the cable which will hurt your signal by a few dB. VSWR will kill your transmit power by quite a bit too. Probably better off without the cable and connecting with a powerful groove with good sensetivity. Remember massive power is useless unless you can receive too! You can assume on the other side if they have a 90 degree sector that it's about 16 or 17dBi, they will probably have a 1m or 2m LMR400 cable (check the specs on scoop.co.za) and a R52Hn card. It's more of a theoretical academic exercise, but post your findings here for interest sake!

Best of luck!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Jawug All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: