FAQFAQ     SearchSearch   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages    

AP vs Bridge vs Client

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JJF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: AP vs Bridge vs Client Reply with quote

Hi all,

Seems like there is not much going on here, so let me start off with a question.

The unit I have at home can be set up as a bridge or an AP. From my location I have two choices, I can set up an AP and try connect the local people, and maybe get someone to bridge me to the main network.

Or I can try setting up a bridge/client to one of the existing AP's, though I might not be able to reach them from my location. Some buildings in the way towards Dawnview and Trustbank may be a bit far, but could be an option.

My electronics is built into an 17dBi panel and powered by PoE. I plan to mount it outside somewhere during the weekend, if all goes well.

Any advice?

Regards,

Johan Fuhri.

Any ideas?
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey JJF

If you gonna be connecting to someone you'll probably be using bridge mode, its not really a prefered mode tho, what hardware do u have? We usually use AP or client modes on jawug. however you can still be in AP mode and have someone else connect to you, and with another radio they can connect to jawug. I'll speak to Jim maybe we can setup something this weekend. Perhaps if you can set up your hardware in AP mode and point it to jim. if we get around to doing jim this weekend we'll be able to scan for you ssid. make it something obvious like Jawug/JJF

Xarion
JJF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a RFNet AP/bridge unit. But if I understand correctly, there is not a huge difference between a bridge and client unit. As matter of fact, if I telnet into the unit, it actually tells me the unit is in client mode if I set it to Bridge on the web interface.

Is there a difference? And if so what is the difference?

Regards,

JJF.
xarion
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant actually tell, yes client and bridge would end up being the same, our configuration on jawug is mainly AP/client mode, where the client has "broken the bridge" in their access point. This would mean there would be a wifi ipaddress as well as a lan IP range and thus would become a router, but still in AP or client mode
Post new topic   Reply to topic    wug.za.net Forum Index -> Software All times are GMT + 2 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: